Saturday, July 28, 2012

FIREFLIES



As I drive home down this country road


I notice flickering thoughts in my mind

And flickering lights on the side of the road

"Fireflies, already," I think

Already.

Just like the thoughts flitting in and out of my mind

Confusion setting in, lighting up for me to see

My repeats of pushing and pulling away from the life I say I want

An awareness of a habit

Does not mean breaking the habit

That comes later

There is a gap between noticing and changing

It takes an aspiration and some time

To bring about a shift that we can really feel

That we know is definably different

And it takes a gentleness

To be confident with exactly what is right now

With exactly who we are right now

Fireflies, reminders, illuminating the night and my mind

Then going out

Just like a noticed habit

No comments:

Post a Comment